Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some questions the Welfare & Housing Service has received about BFC My choice. If you have a question that is not answered here just contact us and we will answer it soon.


How many properties can I bid on?

You can express an interest in as many properties that you are eligible for.


What happens if I refuse the offer of a property?

If you are offered two suitable properties in a year but refuse them, we will not let you make a further bid for 12 months.


How do I contact the Welfare & Housing Service?

Details on how to contact the Welfare & Housing Service are available on this website.


I can not bid on a property, why?

There are a few reasons that you might not be able to bid:

  • You might not be on the Housing Register - please go to BFC My Advice to see if Soical Housing is one of your options.
  • You may have been offered a property - you cannot bid for other properties until you have decided to accept or refuse the offer.
  • You may not be eligible for that particular property - please check the eligibility details.
  • There may be no properties available in the current cycle which meet your housing needs.
  • It may be a Wednesday or Thursday when properties are NOT advertised.

If you are still unsure please contact the Welfare & Housing Service.


What should I do if my circumstances change?

You must tell the Welfare & Housing Service of any change in your circumstances. If your address/phone number/email address changes log onto your application and update your form online then resubmit it. We need to see proof of change of address before these changes will be authorized. You can also contact the Welfare & Housing Service and advise them of the changes.


Are there any time limits on staying in a band?

If your application is place in Band A there is a limit of 6 months that you can remain in the band, as the band reflects the most urgent need to move. At the end of the 6 months your application will be reviewed and the time extended or your priority reduced.


When will I move up a band?

You will remain in your band for 6 years from your registration date if your circumstances do NOT change – you will then move up a band but will not progress higher than a band B.


Could you advise why it says my account has been suspended?

  • If you refuse 2 properties within a year your application will be suspended for 12 months. At the end of 12 months you will need to write in to have the suspension removed.
  • An officer can suspend your application for further investigation.


I recently discovered I’m pregnant does this change my eligibility for a property?

Your eligibility will not change until the baby has been born and you have sent in a copy of the birth certificate.


When can I start bidding?

Once you have completed an application you will be given 28 days to send in all documents, once these have been received your application will be made active and you will receive a registration letter in the post to start bidding.


Where can I get more information on telephone bidding?

The Housing Scheme Guide has detailed information on how to make bids by phone. The phone number is 0300 0112130.