BFC My Homebuy
Enabling first time buyers to purchase a home of their choice
How does it work?
- Bracknell Forest Council will buy the home you choose (subject to successful completion of the application process) and sell you a lease on the property.
- You will purchase a share of the property in the form of a lease (minimum 50%, rising to 75%) using your own savings and mortgage. Bracknell Forest Council will retain the remaining equity in the property.
- Bracknell Forest Council will charge you rent on the unpurchased share. The rent will be 1% of the unpurchased share and increase by 1% a year, to a maximum of 5% in year five. The rent will be reviewed based on the value of the share retained by the council.
- Bracknell Forest Council will insure the property for you but it will be your responsibility to pay for the insurance.
- If you wish to sell your share, Bracknell Forest Council has the first right to purchase the share, otherwise the property will be sold on the open market.
- You must be over the age of 18.
- You must be a UK citizen and not subject to any immigration controls.
- You must be able to demonstrate that you have lived in the borough continuously for 5 years.
- You must be a first time buyer
- Good credit history
- You must be in employment for a minimum of 16 hours per week and have an income of between £20,000 to £60,000 (the minimum could be lower depending on the amount of savings you have).
- You must have sufficient savings to cover the purchase costs and a deposit for the equity that you will be purchasing.
- The property that you choose, once your application is approved, may have one bedroom more that your household needs, and must not be a leasehold property.
- You will be given a maximum property value that you will be able to purchase.
For more information on this scheme please visit: Customer Downloads where you can find our frequently asked questions leaflet and information on home ownership.